Ode to Baton RougePosted: June 13, 2013
We have lived in Baton Rouge for a whole year today! What a celebration. Baton Rouge is our favorite city we’ve ever lived in. Seriously. Small town feel in a city with lots of people, lots to do, and plenty to eat. Our life here has been filled to the brim. A few reasons we love Baton Rouge:
1. Summer Rain. In the summer it is really hot and really humid, but this is tempered by weekly rain showers and thunderstorms. I love the coziness and the effect it has on my garden.
2. Restaurants! This city has no shortage of delicious places to eat. Sushi, Cajun, Italian, Greek, Seafood, Steakhouses, Organic Cafes, there are a plethora of flavors and cuisines found here. Some of our favorites are: Waka House, Gino’s, Magpie Cafe, Whole Foods, Albasha’s, and Roberto’s (ultimate fave).
3. Louisiana-isms. Instead of saying, “I have to be at work at 10:00.” People say: “I have to be at work for 10:00.” Grammatically incorrect, yet endearing. “Come see,” means “Come here”, thankfully the use of “y’all” is in full force, and my favorite are all the french words mingled in like “etoufee” and “roux”.
4. Festivals & Parades. People like to get out and have a good time. Parade days take up the entire day are are filled with food and friends. It’s a little rowdy at times, but a blast to be around such lively people.
5. LSU. We had a blast going to LSU games in the fall and look forward to football season starting up again. Again, it’s a full day affair surrounded by purple and yellow. It’s fun to jump into the passion!
6. The trees. Louisiana has great trees. Everywhere you look there are trees towering up. My favorite are magnolias.
7. Hospitality. People here open their homes and hearts to everyone they meet. Generosity and friendliness abound.
8. Fresh produce and the Farmer’s Market. South Side Produce, an open air produce market, and the bi-weekly Farmer’s Market allow me to buy delicious, fresh fruits and veggies.
9. My husband and my puppy. Living life with my husband this year has been a blessing and a joy. My little puppy Boone is the cutest thing ever. He is a born and bred Louisianan puppy. And I love him.
10. People. Hands down, my favorite thing about Baton Rouge are the friends we’ve made. Remember when I told you that we moved to Baton Rouge to start a church? I’m amazed that in just a short time our little church of 9 has grown to nearly 200 people. I love that our church has grown primarily through friendships and relationships: friends inviting friends. It definitely feels like a big family, and a happy one at that.
We love living in this city! If you don’t live here, you should visit!